Discuss with your colleagues the following questions: What is "Legality"? What are "Ethics"? Compare and contrast legality and ethics in health care. Provide one (1) specific real life legal case example of a violation of legality in a healthcare organization and one (1) specific real life legal case example of a violation of ethics in a healthcare organization that you find on the internet or in the print media. See Discussion Expectations and Grading for rules on discussions. Read background articles. This discussion requires additional research beyond reading the articles.
Assigned reading materials:
- Understanding Federal Courts – (Control>>Click>>From Drop down Menu select Open in New Window or Copy/Paste into your URL)
- Introduction to the U.S. Legal System-
- Legal issues facing health care professionals-
- Ethical and legal analysis of health care case-
- This educational resource is designed to help health care organization directors ask knowledgeable and appropriate questions related to health care corporate compliance
- Health Care Ethics -
- Example of an Employee Handbook from Johns Hopkins:
A Framework for Thinking Ethically
This document is designed as an introduction to thinking ethically. We all have an image of our better selves-of how we are when we act ethically or are "at our best." We probably also have an image of what an ethical community, an ethical business, an ethical government, or an ethical society should be. Ethics really has to do with all these levels-acting ethically as individuals, creating ethical organizations and governments, and making our society as a whole ethical in the way it treats everyone.